Thursday 9 July 2015

'Such is the suffocation injustice brings...'

I am trapped in a dystopian world and remain overwhelmed with claustrophobia. The only emotion which overtakes this is my yearning and excessive desperation for justice. I am blessed to live far away from war and poverty, yet my heart has broken up with my body and run away in search of those who are suffering, leaving behind a bruised and battered shell. I am a carcass, a thin, translucent, plastic bag thrown about by the wind, with no place of belonging. Every pain riddled story I hear adds a drop to the ocean in which I am drowning. Such is the suffocation injustice brings. Every spare second is a silence in the remembrance of the human condition... Tonight my tears fall for every person who has faced oppression, pain and suffering. I pray these tears could wash away the tensions and conflicts and engulf everyone in the warmest peace. I run into the rain and press my bare feet into the grass, breathing in the fresh air in one of the safest cities in the world and yet I find myself restless and lost. Truly, 'this world is a prison for the believer' [Prophet Muhammad (upon whom be peace)]. 


               I am the Palestinian father who’s homeland you stole,
               I am the black teenager who’s spine you broke,
               I am the Pakistani child who goes to work instead of school,
               I am the African family who is starving and only dreams of food,
               I am the Iraqi civilian who became your collateral damage,
               I am the Muslim tortured in your Guantanamo Bay,
               I am the French journalist you shot dead, 
               I am the woman on her way home who is raped,
               I am the refugee who is not safe, even though from you I have escaped,
               I am the orphan child who can’t sleep at night,
               Who mistakes a camera for gun,
               Who thought a selfie could give me such a fright?
               I am every slave and every colonised land,
               I am arrested even though I am an innocent man,
               I am suffering, because human being are suffering,
               I fail to understand,          
               How we can be so vile to each other,
               Do you not see that we are all sisters and brothers?
               Do we not share the same flesh and bones?
               And planet earth none of us own?
               Do we not smile in the same language,
               and breathe the same air?
               So I feel humanity’s pain,
               Even though to care now is rare!

               Give us justice!
               Give us freedom!
               Give us peace!


               Put the human back in humanity….

               #HumanLivesMatter

No comments:

Post a Comment