Friday 17 July 2015

Why is it socially acceptable to be outraged ONLY on social media?

I wrote this piece a while ago, when there was huge uproar on Facebook and social media in general, over specific wars going on throughout the world. This took place at the same time as some of the necessary, but limited conversations about our obsession with technology. Here is a biopsy of my understanding at the time...


I sit and ponder,
And cry and scream.
A peaceful world is far,
Beyond my hopes and dreams.
But now I find myself living,
Inside a computer screen.

I’m trapped inside of this cube.
I try to smash the glass, but I can’t break through.
If I don’t get out how will things improve?
I turn to God who is outside all of this,
Outside the bad and the good and whatever the rest is,
Outside this technological abyss.
I understand the one who said ignorance is bliss,
Because now I know of so many problems that are bigger and beyond me!

Being fed truth and choking on lies,
My brain and heart start to desensitise.
When we see faces, shapes and colours we begin to stigmatise,
Trying to see through the lenses the media glued to our eyes,
While money and power makes those who can change things,
Their souls turn to ice,
And then a tear of every mother and every child,
Surrounds me and I begin to drown,
In the regrets and the mistakes I make on a daily basis,
Then reality… How am I supposed to face this?
Now my five-a-day are different social media platforms,
Where one click, one like, means solidarity,
But that doesn’t mean I’d replace you with me!
Would I give up my home, family and safety?
Or is it enough for me to click, like and share,
While you get blown to smithereens, can I still say that I care?
Unless I lie on the ground and hold you while it all comes down,
How can I pretend to know or empathise?
It's all well and good to scream and shout,
But my thirst is quenched while you are still in drought,
And I sit in a hospital with a migraine,
While you weep for medical supplies so you might see again.
I won’t pretend to know, to understand.
No amount of google images can put your pain into my hand.
I am sorry that I am a coward, I am lazy, I am weak,
For staying in my serenity and not feeding you, clothing you, keeping you warm!
But I know in my heart that Allah Ghafoor ur Raheem,
Will make a reality of what is now just a dream.
So have faith in him and stand in rows for salah,

Because the All Knowing knows and justice will be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment